Friday 28 June 2013

A new journey


I have discovered through my involvement in a daily photo photo challenge, that I love street photography and photographing people, especially when they don't know and are just going about their daily lives. I watched the BBC documentary on Vivian Maier the other night and felt really inspired to do more street photography. She had taken thousands of photographs of people and I loved them. I then realised that I have a rich source of interesting (and unsuspecting) people around me everyday on the train and at the train stations, sometimes on the bus. Those, like me, on their daily commute to work, or a day out somewhere and it got me thinking, this could be a little project, snapping people on their daily commute.



It's not as simple as just taking pictures of everyone you see, it's got to be interesting. The composition has to be good. The lighting has to be right. I like the picture above because this man looks wistful, maybe contemplating the day ahead. But what really struck me was the size of his hands!

I see interesting faces everyday, interesting clothes, people asleep, people working, or like this young man, preparing for an interview (I hope he did well)



One thing that I imagine will appear in many of these photographs is mobile technology. Phones, tablets, electronic books, people wired for sound. These three were all on their phones, like many on the daily commute.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
All images are owned by Nicola Dawes unless otherwise stated

No comments:

Post a Comment